Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Amaryllis, amaryllis! (Yes, you should be reading that to the tune of “Rock me Amadeus”)

Our lovely Friday evening ushered in an equally pleasant weekend. Saturday brought us again to the Green City Market, and also to an afternoon with family and a night out at the movies. My hero, Lance Mackey, might be out of this year’s Iditarod, but the rain on his parade can’t compete with our literal and figurative sunshine.
Legend has proved true again, as spring showers have given way to flowers all over the neighborhood. I picked up some beautiful amaryllises (yes, Mom, I did have to spellcheck that) from Nichols and spent most of Sunday morning alternating between telling Alex how pretty they were and asking him to tell me if he thought they were pretty, too.
The snappy conversation carried over to lunch: a picnic on the hill. Hungry after a jaunt out on our ’cycles, we packed up lunch in a basket and headed to the park. The spring-green menu included ravioli, tossed with the last of our frozen pesto, and an avocado, peanut, kale salad in garlic-lime vinaigrette. Filling, yet light, and definitely tasty.
It seems too early to be bike riding and picnicking, especially after such a mild winter (mild both in weather and in grocery store meltdowns). Using my mother’s “If I bring an umbrella it won’t rain” logic, it’s my fault we didn’t get a lot of snow: I finally got real snowboots. Then again, I’m probably jinxing early spring right now with all these optimistic posts. But it’s not like Chicago weather ever changes its mind.

Garlic-lime vinaigrette
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 spoonful of grainy mustard
Juice of one lime
¼ cup of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the garlic, mustard, and lime juice together in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in the olive oil and season. Or: Put all ingredients in a jar and shake it like... a jar of salad dressing.

3 comments:

  1. How did you make those jelly beans? or were they fruit sours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fruit sours--I went to the basement of Marshall Field's on a special trip for them!

      Delete
  2. I am disturbed and/or it is telling that Mother could not properly ID the fruit sours--been too long much?! HINT HINT. (Love you, Mom!)

    ReplyDelete