Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Have a nice winter!

As of last week my outdoor market season is over. On Thursday morning, the Nichols Farm stand at Daley Plaza was set up to break down easily—the threat of rain and sharp wind taking a toll on early-rising workers. My fingers immediately grew cold as I picked through the apple barrels, wondering what to get in the absence of honey crisps that “weren’t good enough” to be brought to market. The plentiful offerings had dwindled, and, for a second, I wondered whether it would have been better to stop the markets at their peak, to spare us this desolate glimpse into the locavore’s future. “Have a nice winter!” my Nichols buddy called as I walked away laden with Jerusalem artichokes, apples, and cauliflower. Winter. Potatoes. And so it begins.

Here’s a look back at what we got this market season and what we’ll return to next spring when I reunite with my beloved Nichols produce. 
To avoid last winter’s failures, I’ve signed up for Irv and Shelly’s Fresh Picks, a CSA much like Peapod.com, but for local organic produce. Our first veg delivery will be Saturday morning and I’m excited for what’s to come. Even the potatoes. (It’s early yet.)

3 comments:

  1. But you have a case of Oberon to go with your potatoes. And, hopefully some artfully canned peaches. Embrace the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you did this post!

    ReplyDelete