Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade onion rings: the dream is real

While I don’t always agree or follow Michael Pollan’s food rules, I do reflect on the messages from time to time. One rule that I have not strictly applied to my life, but that has always stuck with me is “Eat all the junk food you want, as long as you cook it yourself.” Anyone out there have a recipe for 3-D Doritos?
Let’s talk about onion rings. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but the rumors are true: you can make onion rings at home that are worth eating. And without having to install a deep fryer (I’m looking at you, Paula Dean).
These onion rings are dipped in an easy beer batter (which methinks will resurface when I make fish and chips) and then fried in a thin layer of canola oil, flipping once. Eager to get eating, I pulled the circles of joy out a little early—next time I’ll wait and let them get a little more golden. 
The onions are sweet, the batter is crispy, and the guilt is low. Make your own onions rings and make Michael Pollan proud. (I was serious about that 3-D Dorito thing. Hit me back.)

4 comments:

  1. I was dying for this post! They look so delicious. Michael Pollan would totally be proud.

    And are those Brussels sprouts roasted? Did they complement the rings nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone sends you that 3D Dorito recipe, you call your mama right away. Someday I will have a kitchen.

    ReplyDelete