Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summertime, and the [produce] is easy

What is there to say about strawberries that you don’t already know firsthand? A classic element of summer’s bounty, these berries are finally ripe, juicy, and ready to be eaten. Especially those little ones.
I was unprepared this winter, going the long, dark season without a store of preserved summer goods. Potatoes can only get you so far. Lesson learned. Now is the time to prep for next winter—and strawberries are first on my “must-have” list. 
While still investigating canning methods, I decided to start by freezing a batch of berries. At least we’ll have smoothies!
Wash and hull the strawberries and lay them on a baking sheet. Put the sheet into the freezer for a few hours, then, when the berries are frozen, transfer into an airtight container to store in the freezer (I double bagged them in two servings). The fruit should last this way for up to six months. 
I’m planning to do a few more batches throughout the season because, as those of you who do math have probably noted, these strawberries will only take me to mid-December...I think we’re going to need a bigger freezer.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Leda Meredith. Also, that's a cute sticker. Do you have one for all the berries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No – here is a link to the set: http://www.galison.com/Kitchen-Collage-Book-of-Labels-P2914C707.aspx?UserID=21808275&SessionID=hhdTkYOYgP2CHJZDf9JS

    ReplyDelete
  3. STRAWBERRIES ANYTHING. Can't believe I missed this one somehow. Cursed, phone.

    ReplyDelete