Thursday, June 16, 2011

Carrot tops: Could they be the new dandelion greens?

Ah, variety! The farmers’ market is beginning to unfold its summer bounty! This may be the last week for my beloved asparagus, but I couldn’t be more excited for peppers, tomatoes, and corn. When was the last time you saw baby carrots that looked like this? Not rounded nubs, strangely wet in their plastic packaging, but red-hued, frothy-topped spears, crisp with flavor.  Admittedly, my three dollars bought me more fringe than fruit, however, a quick Google turned up an unfortunate lot of this and one useful piece of information: Carrot tops are edible.
I was warned by the interweb that the greens would be bitter. Perhaps because mine are of the “baby” variety, I did not find that to be true. Youth! I would liken the taste and texture to curly parsley—not my favorite of the parsley family, to be sure, but a welcome likeness, in any case. While I’ve contemplated carrot top pesto, carrot top soup, and carrot top tea, my first use of carrot tops was less original. Too lazy to walk to my garden, I used the available units as a straight substitute for parsley over fresh ravioli with sautéed asparagus (au revoir ’til next year!). Recipe successipe! Carrot tops are tasty.

3 comments:

  1. That link was disturbing. I was not prepared and I should have been.

    Ravioli looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the most beautiful carrots I've ever seen--a sprig of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I could eat this. Love.

    ReplyDelete