Thursday, May 26, 2011

Alex likes eating: pizza!

In this, the second installment of his outrageously popular segment, Alex reveals his innermost thoughts on his favorite food: pizza. I have contributed this haiku about his traditional order:

Medium, thin crust
Pepperoni, black olives,
And jalepeƱo.


Where am I?

Thin crust

Describe this pizza:
Giordano’s thin crust pizza, like its stuffed pizza, has a heartiness that I find endearing.

I like that the toppings (for me, pepperoni and black olive) are always secured nicely into a thick, delicious cheese layer. These pizzas aren’t just “assembled” like fast food pizzas where the number and placement of toppings is predetermined, along with the number of handfuls of cheese, leaving nothing to chance. When you look at Giordano’s thin crust, you see that the toppings are all mixed together and the cheese is spilling over the sides of the crust in some areas, displaying a personal touch. No firm calculations were made here, only the goal of providing deliciousness.

In addition to their exceptional cheese layer, Giordano’s also has a very tasty crust. One thing I like about their crust is that it is not floury, like Edwardo’s, it is firm and yet it is also soft and doughy. You get a nice little crunch and as well as softness, which complements the cheese very well. I think I can best compare their crust to a nice loaf of bread: when made correctly you almost want to eat it just by itself, without any butter or cheese.

Incorporate this pizza into a wish.
I wish I could go back in time and serve myself this pizza when I was little, that way I could avoided wasting my time with other inferior creations, such as Domino’s.

How many shooting stars would you give this pizza?
I give this pizza 5 shooting stars.
Stuffed Pizza

Describe this pizza:
I only recently learned that what I have been calling deep dish pizza is actually stuffed pizza. Being a big pizza lover, this was a massive blow to my pride. After a weeklong penance of no pizza, I decided that my self-imposed punishment could end and my debt had been paid to the Pizza Gods. Stuffed Pizza might just be my favorite type of pizza, and no one makes it better than Giordano’s. You need to be mentally and physically prepared to handle the stuffed pizza experience; if you don’t come prepared you will get sauced. I think one of the reasons I like stuffed pizza so much is because you can’t just use your hands, you really need to use a fork and knife, adding a “layer” of class (pardon my pun). There is something really satisfying about having a steak-sized bite of cheese on the end of your fork.

What song does this pizza remind you of?
The Rocky Theme song—you have to be a champion.

How many shooting stars would you give this pizza?
10 shooting stars.

Where am I?

Describe this pizza:
Well, when I go to Pizza D.O.C. there is only one pizza that I want, the Quattro Formaggi. For those of you who didn’t have an Italian au pair who taught you to speak the language fluently like me, the name of the pizza translates to “four cheese.” At Pizza D.O.C. the cheeses are mozzarella, blue cheese, swiss, and parmigiano.  Pizza Doc has found the correct ratio to allow for each type of cheese to stand out, while no single one stands above the rest. This cheese layer lies atop an extremely thin crust, which is baked in a wood oven, adding a slightly smoky flavor. Since the crust is so thin, the pizza is cooked very quickly, which means I get to eat sooner (always a plus). All of their pizzas are 12 inches, and normally served to you unsliced. I like being able to determine the size of my own slices, but you have to be careful: the thin crust can only support so much weight, bigger slices will need to be slightly folded before bringing them to your mouth.

This is a well-balanced pizza, meaning just the right amount of cheese and crust and just the right amount food to leave you comfortably sated with a little room left for dessert. 

What movie does this pizza remind you of?
This pizza might best be represented by the movie Armageddon, which I can watch anytime, and do anytime it is on TV (a habit that sometimes drives Hanna a little crazy). (Editor’s note: Erroneous. Erroneous on all counts!) In my personal opinion this movie has a good balance of action, drama, romance, and comedy—it leaves me full, but not stuffed, and ready to have a small dessert.

How many shooting stars would you give this pizza?
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this pizza a solid 8.

Where am I?

Describe this pizza:
Many people think of Pizzeria Uno and Due as traditional “deep dish pizza,” however I find the crust to be crumbly, the sauce to be soupy/watery, and the atmosphere to be lame. The variety of deep dish that says “tradition” to me is stuffed pizza. See Giordano’s above.

What word best describes this pizza?
Lackluster.

How many shooting stars would you give this pizza?
1 moon rock.

Where am I?
Gigio’s (on Broadway, not Evanston)
(Editor’s note: Gigio’s has been the self-proclaimed “best pizza in town” since before I started going there in middle school—and I happen to agree. 10 shooting stars and a meteor!)

Describe this pizza:
This pizza is very similar to New York style pizza, but does not claim to be “authentic” New York style pizza. The crust is thicker, doughier, and flourier than New York style pizza. Gigio’s pizza crust has a little more body to it, but not too much that it fills you up after the first piece. Gigio’s is not looking to impress you, it is looking to provide you with good pizza.

Where do you want to eat this pizza?
I want to eat this pizza at home in my pajamas with a movie on the TV. That is the feeling this pizza gives me.

How many shooting stars would you give this pizza?
8.

4 comments:

  1. I distinctly remember leaving a comment about how this makes me want to get sick and eat a lot of cheese pizza.

    Couldn't agree more re: Giordano's. Especially re: the crust.

    Can't wait to see what the next feature article is about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part: "Giordano’s thin crust pizza, like its stuffed pizza, has a heartiness that I find endearing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday, I want to make my fresh tomato, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella cheese on my homemade crust (half whole wheat, half regular flour)pizza for Alex (and you!) I could put olives and jalepenos on his half......

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds outstanding, Aunt Beth!

    ReplyDelete