Thursday, April 14, 2011

This is happening!

At the risk of angering Bill Pullman, I’m going to tell you that the last 24 hours have been really exciting. Yesterday we noticed some activity in the cucumber starters: the dirt was drying out and something was pushing it up. Today the thyme and tomatoes followed suit.  
Cucumber, yesterday
Seedlings! Sprouts! Miracles! We grew plants! Is it wrong to be surprised that this is working? My inner farmgirl is trying to play it cool, but I’m blowing up her spot with my unmasked amazement in nature. 
Cucumbers, today
Tomatoes on the rise
Thyme for spring
My enthusiasm was tempered by the fact that I was starving when I got home. I gathered all the possible ingredients for dinner from the fridge and pantry: day-away-from-wilting spring greens, half a cucumber, three lonely sprigs of basil, the last of the goat cheese, and five walnuts. Options were limited. And then I saw it, the deformed potato that had set up camp in our fridge and started to grow sprouts of its own. 
Potato salad
It sounds hard to believe, but this sad, sack-dwelling reject pulled the rest of our lackluster leftovers together in a delightfully filling salad. Sweet basil, fresh cucumber, and tangy mustard vinaigrette get a lift from rich potato croutons. Chopped small and browned in oil with salt and pepper, these starchy bites made a would-be light and disappointing salad into a hearty main. Potatoes are the best. Remind me to buy another one and forget about it in case of emergencies.
We walked over to our garden after dinner to water the lettuce and pea seeds (no change from the above-ground perspective) and met another garden neighbor. He was super nice and helpful (it turns out we may have gone overboard with tomatoes for such a small plot); he even gave us two varieties of chives to take home for the windowsill.  
Bottom line: Buy a potato. Or grow a garden. There are perks.

5 comments:

  1. CHIVES! Jackpot.

    Yeah, I skimmed You Grow Girl on the train this morning and I think you're really going to like it based on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This won't surprise you in the least, but I don't get the Bill Pullman reference.

    Baby cucumbers are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you come visit my refrigerator? Loved the potato salad. This is where I would have just eaten some peanuts and raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCITING? People are dying out there – I don't think "exciting" is the word I'd choose to describe it!

    http://www.hark.com/clips/ckcwdhbbmh-dying-excitement

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I should have gotten that reference.

    ReplyDelete