Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day three: A side of hysterics

I don’t get sick.  If I did get sick, I’d tell you that I’m reading around 102 as far as I can tell from my meat thermometer and I’m having trouble breathing out of my face. Also, I might’ve embarrassed myself with a feverish breakdown at my office today. And then I would’ve come home and started a rigorous schedule of napping and watching documentaries on NetflixInstant.

Fine. You caught me: I do have a fever, and it isn’t for more cowbell. It’s a good thing the Master Plan doesn’t require me to cook tonight, and a better thing that last night’s meal made great room-temperature leftovers. 
¡Tortilla Española! ¡Ay caray! ¡Que fantastica!

(I speak Spanish in my dreams, so, you know, be impressed.)

Translation: We had Tapas Night yesterday! I had been craving Spanish tortilla—or omelette for you uncultured savages—and put it on the books for Tuesday dinner. Bacon-wrapped dates seemed to be the most appropriate (and authentic) side dish.
While the meal hit the spot, the execution could have been better. My knife cuts on the potatoes were a little inconsistent and a few bites were a slightly underdone. Also, we experienced a mild panic during the flipping portion of the event… accompanied by limited yelling and a trivial amount of arm waving.  After the frenzy, Alex apologized for his antics and we ate bacon and eggs Spanish-style. How do you like breakfast for dinner now?
Dinner was delicious even if it wasn’t perfect. Slight oniony sweetness and tender (for the most part) potato slices suspended in fluffy eggy structure paired with bites of hot candy dates and crispy, salty, smoky bacon.  Well worth the hysteria.

Spanish Tortilla

4-5 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup of olive oil
5 large eggs
Salt

Heat the oil in a medium (9-inch), nonstick pan. Salt the potatoes and fry in the oil for a few minutes.  Add the onions and fry until the potatoes are cooked and tender.  Drain in a colander over a bowl.  Whisk the eggs together in a large bowl with a little bit of salt.  Add two tablespoons of the oil to the pan (on high) to ensure that the tortilla won’t stick. Mix the potatoes and onions into the eggs. Mix well to make sure the potatoes aren’t sticking to eachother. Pour the mixture into the hot pan and reduce the heat to medium.  Shake the pan frequently until mostly set with a browned bottom. Put a large plate on top of the pan and flip the tortilla out. Gently slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the runny side.
Let cool slightly and then slice.

The EverydayFood blog also discussed tortilla this week and provided a link to a helpful tutorial.

2 comments:

  1. YES! We could eat this, too. Although... if you had hysterics, I no doubt will, as well. But they can't be worse than that time I put the wrong pot lid on top of a hot, cooling off frying pan to keep the tortillas warm and then the lid wouldn't come off 10 minutes later and Sham and I screamed at each other on how to best start a Free the Tortillas Campaign and eventually he retreated to watch TV and I threw stuff around the kitchen/in the sink, until I finally queried Google and figured out that Sham was right and we SHOULD turn on heat under the pan in order to emancipate the tortillas. (Which were by this point soggy and unusable because I had tried pouring cold AND hot water onto the pan. Before we tried stabbing one of our worse butter knives between the lid and the pan.) Ummmmmmmm... yeah. THIS LOOKS YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was Knightley doing during this display of domestic drama?

    That aside, it looks delicious. Can't wait for the report on day 4.

    ReplyDelete