Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Po-ta-toes

Behold!  A roast chicken that is cooked all the way through!
And who to thank? Martha Stewart. My dependence on her expertise is becoming a bit blatant, so I will simply say that when it comes to the classics, Martha knows best. 

Speaking of classics, who is a better buddy to roast chicken than roast potatoes?  No one. That’s who. Roast potatoes win. Potatoes win. I love potatoes. 
More questions: Who do you go to for a classic roast potato recipe? Jamie Oliver. Why? Because he is British.

Let’s walk through it… with pictures.

Start with potatoes of a similar size. I used half German butterball and half Yukon gold.  The butterballs are a little sweeter, which I like.  You don’t have to like what I like. You do have to like potatoes.
 Peel potatoes. 
Put them in cold, salted water. Bring to a boil. Boil six minutes.
Drain and let steam in pan for a minute.
Dress parboiled potatoes with salt, pepper, olive oil.
Put into hot (375-ish) oven for 30 minutes. Take out and smash. Smashing increases surface area, thus increasing crispiness, which increases deliciousness, thereby increasing happiness. 
Other things that increase happiness include dogs playing with unicorn pillow pets.  But I digress.
Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, a few garlic cloves, a big pinch of thyme. 
Pour over smashed potatoes and return to oven for another 30 minutes or until super crispy and delicious.

5 comments:

  1. Love that digression. Also love potatoes and well-roasted chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your success! And potatoes. Also love the title of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. POTATOES ANYTHING. I am going to try to make some like this.

    Also I can't believe you shared Purplompkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you named it Purplompkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purplomkin's favorite things include: fluffy bunnies, rainbows, and big, big, big white clouds. And sharing.

    ReplyDelete