Thursday, January 13, 2011

The cupcake truck

Now hold on—don’t boo me just yet.  I know cupcakes are a little over played right now, as super-hip Ruth Bourdain stated, “If I read another food trend list, I'm going to drink a beer cocktail, hijack a food truck, and drive a cupcake up your bacon-infused ass.” …Well at least this doesn’t concern bacon.
If you don’t mind me getting too official with this outdated trend, I’d like to announce my favorite cupcake of 2010: The Curious George from FlirtyCupcakes on wheels (a local food truck that tweets their location and frequents the area near my office).  They get brownie points for salting the caramel and naming their confection after my favorite hat-wearing monkey.
According to the FCow website, the George is a “banana chocolate cupcake with a light, salted caramel Italian buttercream frosting.”  I could probably stop right there, but I think it is important to tell you how moist the cake is and how smooth the frosting is, and how the ratio of frosting to cake is pretty damn close to 60/40. In a word, it is irresistible.  
Try one of these and tell me you are over cupcakes.  I’ll work on tracking down a late-night, beer-serving, maple-bacon doughnut truck. You are welcome.
Flirty Cupcakes on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Great photos! Yes, these look delicious--who cares about their trendy level, so long as their tasty level is up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupcakes are played over? Since when?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one. The next time the truck stops near you, buy me one, come on over, and hand it to me over the security barrier. There are still lares and penates to be divvied up in my will (not EVERYTHING has a Post-it note on it), so...

    ReplyDelete