Sunday, December 26, 2010

Let’s get some [effing] French toast

Excuse my use of the alphabet—that phrase is the first thing that pops into my head when discussing the eggy delight known as French toast.  Made with leftover panettone, this particular incarnation has a custard center that melts in your mouth like pudding.  I like pudding. 

I also love brunch.  And so does my buddy.  Naturally, we are more than down with brunch for dinner.  Fluffy French toast rounded out with clementines and bacon? Yes, please.  Though, if you need a quick breakfast-in-bed surprise for a buddy of your own, this would probably work for that, too.

Like most of my recipes, this is meant to serve two—math is not my jam, but feel free to reconfigure for however many pals you need to serve.  I think the key here is to keep your toast simple. I bet that is how the French came up with such an authentic dish... probably was the same with French fries.

French toast (for two)
Two thick rounds of panettone cut into halves (making four slices total, two per pal (go math!))
1 cup milk
2 eggs
3-ish tablespoons honey (I double glugged because I like things sweet)
½ teaspoon kosher salt.
1 tablespoon butter
Powdered sugar for dusting

Whisk milk, eggs, honey, and salt together in a wide, shallow dish.  Preheat a pan over medium heat; season evenly with butter.  Dredge panettone in the custard mixture, letting each half sit a moment to soak up the liquid.  Fry bread in pan until both sides are golden (three-ish minutes per side).  Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup or jam.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. And it's all jazzy with powdered sugar on top.

    That's the first phrase that pops into my head about French toast too. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think I could make it with half-and-half? I have no milk in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great! That bread was so yummy, I can only imagine how great it is Frenchified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom: Sure? But obesity kills.

    ReplyDelete